Károli Gáspár University was founded by the Reformed Church in Hungary. This fact is reflected in the official name of the institution: Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church in Hungary.
The university was named after Károli Gáspár, the Calvinist pastor, who prepared the first complete Hungarian translation of the Bible in 1590.
The university was established in its present from in 1993 but its history roots back to 1839.
Besides Budapest and Nagykőrös where the two main campuses are located, Károli Gáspár University provides courses in neighbouring countries: in Targu Mures/Marosvásárhely and Ilieni/Ilyefalva (both in Romania), as well as in Berehove/Beregszász (Ukraine) and in Levice/Léva (Slovakia) in cooperation with local higher education institutions.
over 7600 students enrolled to the 2017/18 academic year at the University,
which comprises of the following 4 faculties:
About 50 departments belong to the four faculties altogether.
3 Doctoral Schools in history, law and theology offer PhD programmes.
More than 105 000 books are kept in the libraries of the university.