The opening ceremony of the new academic year took on 9 September 2019, during which the new Rector of the university, Prof. Dr. József Zsengellér was inaugurated.
The opening ceremony began with a worship, after which Dr. István Szabó, Bishop of the Reformed Church in Hungary praised the achievements of the outgoing Rector of the university, Professor Péter Balla, and thanked for his service to the university over the past ten years. The Bishop presented Professor Balla with the university's most prestigious Pro Universitate Award. As the highlight of the event, the Rector’s chain was handed over to Professor József Zsengellér who began his tenure as Rector on 1 September.
Following the inaugural speech of Rector Zsengellér, the ceremony continued with the announcements and presentation of awards, as follows:
The Károli Memorial Medal was awarded to
• Dr. László Lóth, Associate Professor of the Faculty of Law,
• Dr. Dóra Pődör, Associate Professor and Vice-Dean for Education and Quality Assurance at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences,
• Tigra Kft.,
• Edina Konrád, Financial Administrator of the Faculty of Teacher Training.
The Sponsor of Károli Gáspár University Award was given to
• The Budapest Bar Association,
• The Budapest Fasori Parish of the Reformed Church in Hungary,
• Pastor Ágnes Bobok,
• The School District of Cegléd.
Based on the recommendation of the Faculties, the Rector’s Honorary Recognition Award was presented to
• Dr. Árpád Olivér Homicskó, Vice-Dean of International and Scientific Affairs at the Faculty of Law,
• Ágnes Sziki, Director of Event Organisation and Financial Affairs at the Faculty of Humanities,
• Dr. Ferenc Pap, Associate Professor of the Faculty of Theology,
• Dr. Szabolcs Szetey, Professor of the Faculty of Teacher Training,
• In addition Mr. Géza Balázs Popovics, Head of Operations, was awarded the Excellence Recognition Award by the outgoing Rector.
The Professor Emeritus title was granted to
• Prof. Dr. András Szabó, Associate Professor of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences,
• Prof. Dr. András Vargha, Associate Professor of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
At the end of the ceremony, the first-year students made a solemn oath, and the university leadership ceremoniously welcomed them into the university.
Finally, Dr. Pál Huszár, Secular President of the Reformed Church in Hungary, greeted the new students of the university.