Károli Christian Scholarship
The application for the 2023/2024 academic year is open until 27 April 2023!
- Except PhD studies in Theology (English, German): 31 January 2023
Mission of the scholarship
Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church in Hungary founded a scholarship to provide the opportunity of studying in Hungary for young Christian students from certain countries in the Middle East, Asia and Africa. The Programme is financed and managed by the University. The scholarship is available for the citizens of the following countries or territories with a special international status:
Available study programmes
We welcome the application of persons meeting the following eligibility criteria:
- Full-age citizens, who are at least 18 years old but not older than 30 years by the time their education starts at Károli Gáspár University.
- Applicants, who have recommendation signed by a church representative from the List of Churches published here.
- Applicants, who comply with all specifications of the programme they applied for. Specifications are listed in the programme descriptions.
The Microsoft Teams interview is part of the recruitment process.
Number of places available: maximum 5 applicants will be granted the scholarship.
Application deadline: 27th April 2023
Provisions Covered by the Scholarship
- Tuition-free education: exemption from the payment of tuition fee;
- Monthly allowance: HUF 100 000 (cca. EUR 280) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary for the first academic year (2 semesters) of your studies, and introducing a variable rate from the third semester until the completion of your studies depending on your academic performance;
- Accommodation: dormitory place for the whole duration of the scholarship period for 12 months a year or HUF 40 000 monthly accommodation allowance;
- Medical insurance in Hungary;
- Reimbursement of travel costs to/from home country once a year: HUF 200 000 /academic year (cca. EUR 560).
The scholarship holder is required to stay habitually in Hungary during the training period as follows:
- The scholarship holder's continuous private stay outside Hungary may not exceed 10 workingdays per training period.
- In case the intended stay abroad for private purposes exceeds 10 working days but does not reach 30 days within a semester, it is subjected to institutional permit.
- Abroad stays of more than 30 days per training period are subject to institutional authorisation, in accordance with Section 45 (2) c) of the Higher Education Act, may only be allowed in cases of childbirth, or in the event of an accident, illness or other unexpected reason beyond the own fault of the scholarship holder. In this case no scholarship or housing allowance shall be granted from the subsequent month following the decision in respect of the training period concerned.
- Evidence of formal qualifications - depends on the programme you would like to apply
official and certified (stamped) English translation of
- secondary school certificate (matriculation document) or
- BA degree or
- MA degree;
- Internationally accepted English language certificate;
- Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- Motivation letter with Church Recommendation*;
- Filled Online Application Form. You can access the Online Application Platform by clicking here.
*Please attache your Church Recommendation from the List of Churches to your Motivation letter. Only those applicants will be considered for the Károli Christian Scholarship who include the Church Recommendation in their application.
Formal criteria for the Letter of Church Recommendation must:
- be signed and stamped by the bishop (or other leader) of the relevant Church
- have the printed name of and contact details of the bishop (or other leader) on it
- be written on the official letterhead of the relevant Church
- include all the personal details of the applicant (full name, date and place of birth of the applicant) and the date of issuance.
Applicants to Károli Christian Scholarship do not have to pay the application fee if that is otherwise applicable in case of a specific study programme.
The deadline for submitting the complete application package:
27 April 2023 (until 23:59 CET - Central European Time)
Except PhD studies in Theology (English, German): 31 January 2023